The Director of Hotel Accounting (Centralized Services) is responsible for assisting in supervising an accounting team of approximately 8 employees and is responsible for overseeing the accounting function for approximately 20-30 select service hotels. Successful individual will need a strong background in centralized accounting, have a strong understanding of select service/focused service accounting processes, be able to implement policies and practices to streamline processes and maximize efficiencies.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the centralized accounting team, providing ongoing training, supervision, and performance feedback.
- Responsible for the team’s completion of the monthly closing process to ensure reporting deadlines are met as required by the corporate office and management agreements.
- Responsible for the team’s completion of cash disbursements and reconciliations.
- Responsible for the team’s completion of all balance sheet reconciliations, including periodic reviews.
- Responsible for the team’s timely completion of all reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Responsible for conducting semi-annual office audits to maintain a strong internal controls and ensure compliance.
- Responsible for ensuring successful internal audit, external audits, and SOX compliance.
- Responsible for maintaining excellent relations with ownership groups, corporate office, hotel staff, and outside firms/vendors
- Responsible for attending ownership meetings as required.
- Must be able to balance accounting knowledge with effective leadership skills in strategic planning regarding staff, process improvements, and system enhancements.
- Assist Vice President of Hotel Accounting & Finance, Vice President of Centralized Accounting and Chief Operating Officer in short- and long-term strategy planning to assist hotels in achieving budgeted results.
- Responsible in aiding the General Managers in forecasting and budgeting.
- Review analysis of accounting activities, costs, operations, and forecast data in relation to property and company goals.
- Responsible for directly performing duties of team members when required due to vacancy or extended leaves.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- 3-5 years’ experience in the hospitality industry in a centralized accounting environment as a Director or in an Area position with oversight of a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs and other applicable programs
- Proven administrative and leadership skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- The ability to perform multiple tasks and maintain flexibility with priorities
- Proficiency in training, coaching, and counseling abilities
- Proven ability to manage resources effectively
- Proven ability to effectively identify and solve problems within specified time constraints
- Demonstrated proficiency to objectively analyze and prioritize complex challenges
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required along with a demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects and responsibilities.
- Knowledgeable with current hospitality accounting procedures and GAAP
- Ability in building strong relationships with other disciplines throughout the company
- Knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley
- Ability to work with minimal direct supervision
- Ability to present information and respond to questions from all stakeholders
- Exceptional time management skills and ability to multi-task
- Position based in Fairfax, VA