The Inn at Virginia Tech would like to invite candidates who are highly motivated, creative, and a customer-focused leader to join our team as Conference Planning Manager. To be successful you will need to be self-motivated, demonstrate a thorough knowledge of event execution, food and beverage, and space optimization to drive conference revenue. Working closely with our conference services team, to provide exceptional customer service and support to our conference center and hotel guests.
This position is full-time with benefits. Starting salary range of $48,000 to $55,000 based on experience.
Full-time benefits include:
Medical, Health, and Vision Insurance to fit your family
401K match (Growing your financial future!)
Paid Time Off (Everyone needs a little time away)
Employee Travel Program
Employee Events (We believe in celebrating our team!)
Think this sounds like a fit for you? Apply now…we would love to have you on our team!
The Conference Planning Manager is responsible for discussing and coordinating all details of the selected conference with the client and communicates this information through respective hotel department heads after the sales contract has been signed.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for working with conference meeting planners in coordinating the final details for conferences and pre-conference meetings.
- Prepares Banquet Event Orders (BEO) for groups, including audiovisual needs.
- Prepares and distributes group resume/cover sheets to all departments. Ensures rooming list is entered accurately and that suites are blocked according to group contract. Sends rooming list printout to client to confirm accuracy.
- Re-checks diary/agenda to ensure proper space has been assigned and catering projections are accurate. Reviews group contract throughout planning stages to ensure group room pick up is coming in as contracted. If not, this position discusses the room block pick up with the meeting planner to ensure that the room block gets filled or to discuss attrition penalties in rooms and/or food and beverage revenue.
- Conducts hotel site inspections when necessary. Offers creative suggestions to up-sell during these visits.
- Responsible for collecting payment three days prior to the group’s arrival, if the group is using a check or credit card as method of payment.
- Responsible for projecting and forecasting revenues for groups this position is coordinating.
- Entertains clients to establish closer working relations where appropriate.
- Recommends special outside services when required.
- Conducts final tie-down (pre-conference) meetings prior to conference, if necessary.
- Before agreeing to any last-minute changes/requests, discusses changes/requests with Chef and/or Banquet Manager to ensure that they can be done.
- At the beginning of the function, introduces client to Banquet Manager.
- If the function involves a dinner, this position should be available to assist the Banquet Manager in the front of the house until the entrée is served. Once entrée is served, this position should leave the function, unless requested to stay by the Banquet Manager.
- Ensures a consistent product to standards, while maximizing profitability and protecting the integrity of the guest experience.
- During the conference, reviews master bill with the meeting planner daily. Prepares adjustment slips for accounting to post (if needed) before the master bill is sent to client. Audits the groups Delphi check daily.
- Reviews the final bill and evaluation at the conclusion of conference.
- Attends weekly forecast, sales meetings and daily BEO meetings.
- Logs all communications with client in the activities section in Delphi.
- Responsible for knowing and abiding by all department, hotel and company policies and procedures.
Education And Experience
- High school diploma or GED plus at least three (3) years of experience in hotel conference planning/services, sales, or banquet management; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the above knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- A bachelor’s degree and experience in a conference center hotel is preferred.
Crestline Hotels & Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, identity, or disability status.